Southland drivers are responsible for providing courteous transportation service to passengers in a safe and timely manner, while conforming to all applicable state and federal laws as they relate to passenger bus transportation.
- General Qualifications.
An eligible candidate must possess the following:
- Be twenty-one (21) years of age or older.
- Insurable Driving Record. No DUI�s or Reckless driving within past 10 years.
- Reliable employment history.
- Ability to pass a Pre-Employment physical, drug screen and criminal background check in accordance with all applicable laws and contractual requirements relating to the nature the service.
- Possess a functional knowledge of the geography in the area of service.
- Ability to effectively communicate in English, both written and verbal.
- Maintain a "Professional Image" in your appearance and hygiene.
- Current commercial licensing, with passenger endorsement and transit certification is preferred, but will train qualified candidates.
- Physical Requirements.
Within reason, an eligible candidate must posses the ability to:
- Push and pull non-ambulatory passengers, i.e. persons in wheelchairs, and persons utilizing walkers.
- Climb, bend, stoop, twist, crouch and kneel to secure wheelchairs and conduct vehicle inspections.
- Sit for extended periods of time.
- Use full range of sense of hearing, speech and vision.
- Display manual dexterity as applicable to position.
- Specific Qualifications.
- Maintain a Positive, Pro-active, and Professional demeanor with all fellow employees.
- Assist and interact with public in a professional manner.
- Display a high level of attention to detail.
- Make sound decisions and take responsibility.
- Maintain good attendance and be punctual
- Be organized in all work activities, while meeting service schedules.
- Read, interpret, and apply policy and procedure.
Within the parameters established by the Director of Operations and/or the Safety and Training Department, and approved policies and procedures, Bus Drivers are assigned the following position responsibilities:
- Safe and efficient operation of fleet vehicles:
- Performs all pre-trip vehicle inspections in accordance with all applicable laws and within the guidelines set forth by the company.
- Reports all unsafe conditions to management.
- Properly accounts for all system funds, i.e. ticket sales, fares received, and all other transactions involved with position, where applicable.
- Operates assigned route in accordance with prescribed system timetable, manifest and/or according to the instruction of dispatch.
- Properly Maintains all required documentation in accordance with laws and within the guidelines set for the by the company.
- Observe safety as a priority while performing all duties.
- Customer service:
- Focuses and responds appropriately to the needs of all customers.
- Maintains positive attitude and professional image while interacting with customers.
- Observes and acts in accordance with all laws regarding the transporting of person�s with disabilities (ADA).
- Directs and assists customers upon request in a friendly manner.
- Reports any unusual incidents to project supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned:
- As assigned by project supervisor.